Wonder Woman is a Tank character with focus on Horizontal attacks. She can support herself and her teammates by giving Armor and Block Projectiles, make a Platform, and pull her ally out of danger with her Lasso. She succeeds at trading hits with her opponent, but struggles if they can break her armor with fast attacks or multi-hit attacks.
Wonder Woman Match-up Chart
Wonder Woman can block projectiles effectively, but can get punished easily by attacks that can hurt her after her Grounded Side B’s end lag such as:
- Jerry’s Quarkshot
- Bugs’s Side Grounded Side Attack
- Lebron’s Ground and Aerial Neutral Special
All these moves can quickly shutdown Wonder Woman’s projectile shield, which is why she will have a hard time against these characters. The other factor are her range, as besides her lasso, which has a cooldown, her range can be very limited. Bugs and Tom & Jerry can take advantage of this, with constant pressure of projectiles.
She excels at getting rid of set-up, as well as dispelling debuffs. Characters that rely on debuffs to kill, such as Harley or Batman, who are set up characters, have a hard time fighting Wonder Woman, as she can use Down Special to cleanse her debuffs and grant her armor, or use Grounded Side Special to destroy objects the enemy places, such as Harley’s Down Special. Against Taz, you can interrupt dogpile and tornado using Grounded Down Attack, it’s a bit risky but if you wait just until they break your armor and then use it, it should be able to hit him out of it. Armor also helps against these two in general, and is great to have as a tank.
Best Perks for Wonder Woman
- Attack – Percussive Power Punch / Wildcat Brawler / Lumpy Space Punch
For Attack Perks, Percussive Power Punch can help Wonder Woman kill with Lasso, Aerial Side Special, or Neutral Grounded Attack. Wildcat Brawler helps her ground combos do more damage, so they can have higher percent when knocked into the air, then with Lumpy Space Punch, can have her do more damage within her combo string. However, most of Wonder Woman’s perks should be utility or defensive, as these small bonuses don’t add too much damage to her attacks. However, it you want to pair up perks, these can add a small boost to your team’s power.
- Defense – Slippery Customer / School Me Once… / Clear the Air
For Defense Perks, Wonder Woman is a Tank class, and in addition of her armored moves and big weight value, Slippery Customer can help with her dodge potential, as it adds invincibility frames to your dodges. This can be great to dodge through projectiles with. School Me Once can make some of her worst match-ups feel a bit more even, and can make getting in to start combos better for her. Finally, Clear the Air can destroy Batarangs, Lebron’s Ball, Bug’s Pies, Morty’s Snake Projectile, or Rick’s Charged Blaster Shot. If timed well, this can be greatly helpful in getting an upper hand in the fight.
- Utility – Coffeezilla / Gravity Manipulation / Triple Jump
For Utility Perks, Coffeezilla provides faster recharge on your cooldowns, which helps with getting Armor and Lasso back quicker. If you are fighting some who is fights in your face, then I Dodge You Dodge We Dodge would be a better choice in those fights. Some of Wonder Woman’s aerials can be used with hit falling, so adding fast fall speed with Gravity Manipulation helps reach the group quicker before the enemy can dodge out the way. Lastly, Triple Jump is nice as it lets you go higher for your Aerial Up Attack, and can help give more options at ledge if you want to armor or lasso to try to ward the enemy away before recovering. Wonder Woman can chase aerial opponents quite well, so have access to more air time can make you more of a threat when they are trying to land.
- Best Signature Perk – Whip of Hephaestus
Whip of Hephaestus can help get kills without being in danger of some characters, and can let you get ranged kills on characters that can apply pressure from afar, like Lebron James, Tom & Jerry, Bugs Bunny, and Velma. It adds a tipper effect(Stronger if you hit at the tip of the attack, in this case the whip) to the whip, and can secure kills from afar and can kill earlier then some of your other moves. It is similar to Tom’s Fishing Rod.
If your struggling with approaching characters with constant projectile pressure, then you should take Shield of Athena instead, as it can give a projectile shield when you neutral dodge a projectile, helping Wonder Woman close the gap and get the enemy’s face.
Placement in the Tier List
Wonder Woman is a solid character with good damage negation and supports her teammates and herself well, however, doesn’t have a lot of range, and has to work harder than other characters to string hits together and secure kills, which is why she is at A Tier. For teams, she can help her teammate even more, with her ability to give her teammate Armor with 5 different moves (Her Lasso, Down Special, Aerial Up Special, Grounded Side Special, and Grounded Down Attack). With her armor, she has very high survivability, as well as has better then average weight, so opponents can have a hard time ringing you out. (Note all characters in this game are viable, I fully believe that)
Tips and Tricks
- Her lasso can be a good kill move if you can predict where they are going to go. If you have Whip of Hephaestus equipped, the end has a sweet spot, which can quickly end people that are about 120% or higher
- If you do not have Whip of Hephaestus, lasso can be used as a combo tool, as it brings people in. You can do this with the perk equipped but it is much harder
- Normal Up-Air has a spike hitbox on her foot, which can lead to some earlier kills or situations where you can spike them mid-stage, but is hard to hit
- Normal Grounded Down-Attack can be used to trade hits with multiple characters that like be in your face, like Finn and Taz. Using this move to tank a hit leads to some combos, like Normal Grounded Forward-Attack. It has a small hit box if used instantly though, so make sure to use to to react, instead of engage
- Using Aerial Up-Special can be used as a mix-up\delay tool to mix up your landings. It pushes you up into the air, so you can stall your landing, and make your movements less predictable
- Aerial Side Special can be a good move to kill with at about 130% towards the sides on the stage. Can also be angled upward and downward to hit unsuspecting people
- Your Aerial Forward Attack is one of your main approach options, as it can combo into things like your Grounded Forward Attack or possibly predict a read and charge a Grounded Neutral Attack. As Wonder Woman, it’s hard to take risks without being punished, so make sure you can predict and react.